NOAA Fisheries has published a final rule modifying the red grouper commercial and recreational allowable harvest in the Gulf of Mexico. The new regulations become effective on October 12, 2016. The changes include:
1) Increases to the Gulf of Mexico red grouper annual catch limit and quota (annual catch target) for the commercial sector from 6.03 and 5.72 million pounds gutted weight, to 8.19 and 7.78 million pounds gutted weight, respectively.
2) Increases to the Gulf of Mexico red grouper annual catch limit and annual catch target for the recreational sector from 1.9 and 1.73 million pounds gutted weight, to 2.58 and 2.37 million pounds gutted weight, respectively.
The Gulf of Mexico Fishery Management Council has chosen to increase red grouper allowable harvest to allow the opportunity for the recreational fishing season to remain open yearlong instead of closing late in the season. In addition, the increase in quota will provide commercial fishermen an increase in their Individual Fishing Quota allocations.
The increase in quota will be effective October 12, 2016. The commercial increase will not include additional multi-use allocation for 2016 to prevent the red grouper or gag annual catch limit from being exceeded.
Electronic Copies of the final rule and supporting documents may be obtained from the NOAA Fisheries Web site:
This bulletin serves as a Small Entity Compliance Guide, complying with section 212 of the Small Business Regulatory Enforcement Fairness Act of 1996.
NOAA Fisheries Southeast is pleased to announce the introduction of our Text Message Alert Program. The program will allow you to sign up to receive important fishery related alerts via text message. Text alerts you may receive include immediate fishery openings and closures, and any significant changes to fishing regulations that happen quickly.
How to opt-in
Sign up for related alerts for one or more of the following groups. Standard message & data rates may apply. You may opt-out at any time.
- Gulf of Mexico Recreational Fisheries: Text GULFRECFISH to 888777
- Gulf of Mexico Commercial Fisheries: Text GULFCOMMFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Recreational Fisheries: Text SATLRECFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Commercial Fisheries: Text SATLCOMMFISH to 888777
- Caribbean Fisheries: Text CARIBFISH to 888777