Marsh planting project near Port Sulphur
The Coalition to Restore Coastal Louisiana (CRCL) and Abita Beer invite you to register for the two day Save our Shore: Volunteer for the Coast restoration event on October 10th and 11th near Port Sulphur in Plaquemines Parish. Recently, the Louisiana Coastal Protection and Restoration Authority and the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service completed a marsh creation project at the site. CRCL and Abita are looking for over 150 volunteers to plant 50,000 plugs of marsh grass on the newly created marsh platform. This will help reduce erosion of the newly placed sediment and enhance the habitat for fish and wildlife.
To thank you for your effort, we invite volunteers to stay for the SOS: Volunteer Appreciation Party happening immediately after each day’s restoration activity at the Woodlands Plantation. Come help us celebrate the work you did as well as Louisiana’s ties to our coast, culture and love of life with hors d’oeuvres, live music, games and Abita products (beer and root beer). FREE for all who volunteered! It’s a great way to celebrate what’s best about Louisiana after doing your part to save our coast.
When: Friday and Saturday, October 10 and 11
8:00 am to no later than 4:00 pm
Where: Port Sulphur, LA
Want to register for Friday, October 10th? Click Here
Want to register for Saturday, October 11th? Click Here
*Note: Volunteers can register for one or both days.
- Additional details will be provided to registered volunteers via e-mail a few days prior to the event.
- Registration is open from 8:00 to 9:00 am.
- All volunteers will meet at The Woodlands Plantation in Port Sulphur, LA and will be shuttled to the boat dock.
- Please note the minimum age for volunteers is 16 and minors must be accompanied by an adult.
- Planting in the marsh is a dirty and strenuous activity, so physical fitness is necessary.
- All equipment (dibbles, gloves, life vests,etc) and lunch and drinks (with vegetarian options) will be provided to all volunteers.
We require that all volunteers please register to let us know if you plan to attend. If any additional members of your family/friends are attending the event with you, then they must also register. They can complete an online registration form by clicking here for the marsh restoration project.
Planting on our coast is wonderful way to spend a day and we would like to ensure that everyone gets a chance to have a great experience.
- If, after registering, you find you are unable to attend, please notify us of your cancellation.
- If the event registration is full, you can be added to a waiting list.
- If you’d like to bring out a group, please let us know and we’ll try our best to accomodate you.
For any of the above inquiries, you can contact CRCL’s Volunteer Coordinator, Jenny Byrd at Jennyb@crcl.org.