COASTAL WETLANDS PLANNING, PROTECTION AND RESTORATION ACT
TASK FORCE MEETING
May 22, 2014, 9:30 a.m.
Estuarine Fisheries and Habitat Center
Conference Room 119
646 Cajundome Blvd.
Documentation of Task Force meetings may be found at:
|Tab Number||Agenda Item|
- Meeting Initiation 9:30 a.m. to 9:40 a.m.
- Introduction of Task Force or Alternates
- Opening remarks of Task Force Members
- Request for Agenda Changes/Additional Agenda Items/Adoption of Agenda
- Decision: Adoption of Minutes from the January 16, 2014 Task Force Meeting (Brad Inman, USACE) 9:40 a.m. to 9:45 a.m. Mr. Brad Inman will present the minutes from the last Task Force meeting. Task Force members may provide suggestions for additional information to be included in the official minutes.
- Report: Status of CWPPRA Program Funds and Projects (Susan Mabry, USACE) 9:45 a.m. to 10:05 a.m. Ms. Susan Mabry will provide an overview of the status of CWPPRA accounts and available funding in the Planning and Construction Programs.
- Status of the Sport Fish and Boating Safety Trust Fund Reauthorization (Brad Inman, USACE). Mr. Inman will provide an update on current Trust Fund reauthorization efforts, including the Angling and Boating Alliance’s (ABA) proposed change to the funding model for coastal wetlands.
- Report: Construction Update (Brad Inman, USACE) 10:05 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. The CWPPRA agencies will provide a report on projects that are currently under construction and projects that have been recently completed construction.
- Report: Public Outreach Committee Report (Susan Bergeron, USGS) 10:30 a.m. to 10:40 a.m. Ms. Susan Bergeron will present the quarterly Public Outreach Committee report.
- Report: Selection of Ten Candidate Projects to Evaluate for PPL 24 (Kevin Roy, USFWS) 10:40 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. At the April 14, 2014 Technical Committee meeting, the Technical Committee selected 10 projects as PPL 24 candidates for Phase 0 analysis as listed below. The Technical Committee selected the Innovative Bedload Sediment Collector demonstration project based on the input from the Environmental and Engineering Work Groups that the other three demonstration projects lacked sufficient merit for further investigation.
|Region||Basin||PPL 24 Nominees||Agency|
|1||Pontchartrain||New Orleans Landbridge Shoreline Stabilization & Marsh Creation||FWS|
|1||Pontchartrain||Shell Beach South Marsh Creation||NMFS/USACE|
|1||Pontchartrain||Bayou Bienvenue Marsh Creation||EPA|
|2||Barataria||East Leeville Marsh Creation & Nourishment||NMFS|
|2||Barataria||Grand Bayou Marsh Creation & Terracing||FWS|
|3||Terrebonne||West Fouchon Marsh Creation & Marsh Nourishment||CPRA|
|3||Terrebonne||Bayou Dularge Ridge Restoration & Marsh Creation||NRCS|
|3||Teche-Vermilion||South Humble Marsh Creation & Nourishment||NMFS|
|4||Calcasieu-Sabine||No Name Bayou Marsh Creation & Nourishment||NMFS|
|4||Mermentau||Southeast Pecan Island Marsh Creation & Freshwater Enhancement||NRCS|
|PPL 24 Demonstration Project Candidate||Agency|
|DEMO||Innovative Bedload Sediment Collector||USACE|
- Report/Decision: Upcoming 20-Year Life Projects (Brad Inman, USACE) 11:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. The project sponsors will present recommended path forwards for CWPPRA projects ending their 20 year lives in 2015 or 2016. The Task Force will consider the Technical Committee’s recommendation to approve the paths forward for the following projects nearing their 20-year life:
|CS-18||Sabine National Wildlife Refuge Erosion Protection||FWS||1-Mar-15||Close-out|
|TV-03||Vermilion River Cutoff Bank Protection||COE||11-Feb-16||Close-out|
|PO-16||Bayou Sauvage Refuge Restoration Phase 1||FWS||30-May-16||Extension|
|BA-19||Barataria Bay Waterway Wetland Creation||COE||15-Oct-16||Close-out|
- Report: Status of CWPPRA Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) Update (Allison Murry, USACE) 11:30 a.m. to 11:35 a.m. In January 2014, the P&E Subcommittee started an intensive clean-up and update of the CWPPRA SOP. Ms. Murry will present the current status of the SOP update.
- Decision: FY15 Planning Budget Approval, including the PPL 25 Process, and Presentation of FY15 Outreach Budget (Process, Size, Funding, etc.) (Brad Inman, USACE) 11:35 a.m. to 11:50 a.m. The P&E Subcommittee will present their recommended FY15 Planning Program Budget development, including the PPL 25 Process.
- The Task Force will consider the Technical Committee’s recommendation to approve that the PPL 25 Process Standard Operating Procedures include selecting four nominees in the Barataria and Terrebonne Basins; three projects in the Breton Sound and Pontchartrain Basins; two nominees in the Mermentau, Calcasieu/Sabine, and Tech/Vermilion Basins; and one nominee will be selected in the Atchafalaya Basin.
- The Task Force will consider the Technical Committee’s recommendation to approve the FY15 Outreach Committee Budget, in the amount of $445,800.
- The Task Force will consider the Technical Committee’s recommendation to approve the FY15 Planning Budget, in the amount of $5,111,819.
- Report: Coastwide Reference Monitoring System (CRMS) Report & System Wide Assessment Monitoring Program (SWAMP) (Dona Weifenbach, CPRA) 11:50 a.m. to 12:10 p.m. Ms. Dona Weifenbach will provide a report on CRMS, followed by a presentation on SWAMP.
- Discussion/Decision: Transfer of O&M funds to Construction for Grand Lake Shoreline Protection (ME-21) (Kevin Norton, NRCS) 12:10 p.m. to 12:25 p.m. In February 2007, the Task Force passed a motion “to allow CIAP to fund construction of the Grand Lake Shoreline Protection Project (ME-21) without Tebo Point and to have CWPPRA fund the difference between the CIAP and CWPPRA project features (i.e. the Tebo Point segment) plus 3 years of O&M for the entire project for a total of $9 million ($2.7M for construction of the Tebo Point segment and $6.3M for the 1st 3 years of O&M for the entire project).” The CIAP portion of ME-21 was constructed under CIAP in 2010, and federal sponsorship of ME-21 was transferred to NRCS in 2011. NRCS and CPRA propose to transfer $3,542,031 from O&M to Construction. The total Phase II cost would remain at $9,006,586. The total fully funded cost would remain at $10,005,616. The Task Force will consider and vote on the request to transfer funds.
- Decision: Request for Approval for Final Deauthorization on the PPL 13 – Bayou Sale Shoreline Protection Project (TV-20) (Kevin Norton, NRCS) 12:25 p.m. to 12:30 p.m. NRCS and CPRA are requesting approval for final deauthorization procedures on the Bayou Sale Shoreline Protection Project (TV-20) due to numerous abandoned pipelines in the area that presented site access and project construction problems. After consideration of the costs of pipeline removals, alternative construction methods that avoided pipeline removals, and alternative shoreline protection methods, implementation of the project proved cost-prohibitive, resulting in limited benefits that did not justify construction. The Task Force will consider the Technical Committee’s recommendation to approve the final deauthorization of the Bayou Sale Shoreline Protection Project.
- Decision: Request for Approval for Final Deauthorization on the PPL 18 – Bertrandville Siphon Project (BS-18) (Karen McCormick, EPA) 12:30 p.m. to 12:35 p.m. EPA and CPRA are requesting approval for final deauthorization procedures on the Bertrandville Siphon Project (BS-18) based on landrights issues that are not likely to be resolved in the near future plus substantial technical implementation issues. The Task Force will consider the Technical Committee’s recommendation to approve the final deauthorization of the Bertrandville Siphon Project.
- Additional Agenda Items (Col. Richard Hansen, USACE) 12:35 p.m. to 12:40 p.m.
- Request for Public Comments (Col. Richard Hansen, USACE) 12:40 p.m. to 12:45 p.m.
- Announcement: Date of Upcoming CWPPRA Program Meeting (Brad Inman, USACE) 12:45 p.m. to 12:50 p.m. The Technical Committee meeting will be held September 11, 2014 at 9:30 a.m. at the LA Department of Wildlife and Fisheries, Louisiana Room, 2000 Quail Drive, Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
- Announcement: Scheduled Dates of Future Program Meetings (Brad Inman, USACE) 12:50 p.m. to 12:55 p.m.
|September 11, 2014||9:30 a.m.||Technical Committee Meeting||Baton Rouge|
|October 6, 2014||9:30 a.m.||Task Force Meeting||New Orleans|
|December 11, 2014||9:30 a.m.||Technical Committee Meeting||Baton Rouge|
- Decision: Adjourn