The Coalition to Restore Coastal Louisiana (CRCL) and the US Fish and Wildlife Service have partnered together to restore 25 acres of marsh within the Big Branch National Wildlife Refuge System. We will be planting nearly 50,000 plugs of marsh grass during this 8 day restoration event and we need your help! This project will assist in stabilizing the marsh soils with the intention of preventing future erosion and creating wildlife habitat.
|When:||Wednesday-Saturday, May 21-24|
|Wednesday-Saturday, May 28-31|
|9 a.m. to no later than 4 p.m.|
|Where:||Big Branch Marsh NWR|
Want to register for any of the Big Branch dates? Click here!
- Directions and additional details will be provided to registered volunteers via e-mail a few days prior to the event.
- All equipment (dibbles, life vests, etc) and lunch and drinks (with vegetarian options) will be provided to all volunteers.
- Volunteers will be transported to the planting site by air boat. Please note the minimum age for volunteers is 18.
- Planting in the marsh is a strenuous activity, so physical fitness is required. The site is extremely muddy. You won’t be going home clean!
- Country Inn and Suites of Covington is offering our volunteers a special discount. Follow this link to reserve your stay!
We require that all volunteers please register to let us know if you plan to attend. If any additional members of your family/friends are attending the event with you, then they must also register. You can complete a registration form for the event by clicking HERE.
Planting on our coast is wonderful way to spend a day and we would like to ensure that everyone gets a chance to have a great experience.
- If, after registering, you find you are unable to attend, please notify us of your cancellation.
- If the event registration is full, you can be added to a waiting list.
- If you’d like to bring out a group, please let us know and we’ll try our best to accommodate you.
For any of the above inquiries, you can contact our Volunteer Coordinator, Jenny Byrd at Jennyb@crcl.org.