The workshop is funded by the LEEC and the CWC/GoMRI.
The In-DEPTH Investigations workshop is focused on using ocean science to teach biology, physical & earth science, math, engineering, and technology concepts. Through the resources provided students can also build skills in decision making and team building.
Workshop information below:
When: October 11-13, 2013
Where: LUMCON’s DeFelice Marine Center, Cocodrie, LA
Registration Deadline: October 1, 2013
Contact: Jennifer “Murt” Conover
email@example.com or (985) 851-2860
Stipend: $100/participant – 11 spaces available. Spots filled on a “first come – first served” basis. Please do not register unless you are sure that you can attend. Last minute cancellations can be difficult to fill.
In-DEPTH Investigations is a workshop designed to improve your understanding about the role of the ocean in the health of our planet, the ocean environment, ocean issues due to climate change, and how we monitor the ocean. By attending In-DEPTH Investigations you will be able to convey ocean literacy and stewardship concepts to your students through science, technology, engineering, and math. Better ocean literacy among students will mean a greater understanding of earth systems, Louisiana’s coastal issues, and future career areas.
In-DEPTH Investigations goals:
1) to increase understanding of ocean environments and the use of models to teach ocean science;
2) to give you the resources to use with your students to incorporate STEM concepts in the classroom;
3) to make you more aware of the implications of ocean health issues and their causes.
Participants of this workshop will receive:
- Hands-on activities you can use in the classroom to teach ocean science
- Hands-on training on how to build a working ROV with students
- Content information
- Classroom resources
- A complete ROV kit to build with your students
- Free meals and lodging
- Up to 15 CLUs
How to register:
Contact Murt Conover at (985) 851-2860 or firstname.lastname@example.org for a registration form.